Israel’s African Deportation Program Temporarily Halted by Court

The Israeli government’s plan to deport nearly 40,000 African invaders pretending to be refugees has halted for two weeks while the country’s Supreme Court considers an appeal by two left wing Jews against the program.

Africans at the Israeli Holot concentration camp.

The deportation program is already well underway, with expulsion notices being issued to the Africans, and the delay will only be valid until the state takes steps to head off the legal challenge.

Earlier this week, the Israeli Supreme Court heard a petition from the two left wing Jews who argued that the two African states named as destinations for the deported invaders had denied signing any such agreement with the Jewish state—and that therefore the entire program was legally invalid.

Although the government lawyers in the case argued that the agreement was classified as “confidential on the orders of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, due to possible damage to Israel’s foreign relations,” the judge noted that the “fact that the states involved [Rwanda and Uganda] deny having an agreement to accept asylum seekers who consent to voluntary departure from Israel is liable to create a problem for the deportees.”

Supreme Court Justice Hanan Melcer said such an agreement was necessary to protect the Africans in the countries to which they will be expelled.

“If there is any violation, they can turn to the courts there and present the agreement. When they say here that there is no agreement, what they will show,” Melcer said.





Supreme Court President Esther Hayut said the security status of the new agreement, signed late last year, must be checked and asked the prosecution to include the answer in its response to the petition.

The prosecution requested two weeks amend its response. The court agreed and suggested that the state suspend its deportation proceedings during this time.

The court gave the state until March 26th to respond to the appeals, adding that the injunction against the deportation plan would not be lifted before the state had submitted its response.

What the latest ruling means is that the Israeli government will now be forced to publicize whatever agreements it has concluded with the Rwandan or Ugandan governments in order for the program to proceed.

Given that both those governments have formally denied agreeing to the program, the Israelis are possibly quickly going to learn that even a signed agreement with an African state might not be worth the paper it is written upon—unless they can come to some arrangement in the interim.

The actual deportations are not scheduled to begin until April 1.


Recommended For You

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.