More Africans have now invaded Italy this year than the total number who did so last year—and there are still over two months of 2016 to go.
Official figures show that over 153,000 nonwhite invaders have landed in Italy as of October 24, 2016. The figures were released following the landing of over 4,000 sub-Saharan invaders over the past weekend.
One of the invaders, Alhaji Kutubu Sankoh, from Sierra Leone, told an AFP reporter on the Norwegian ship, Siem Pilot, that he had left his home and set out for Europe after his father died of Ebola—raising the real possibility that the invaders are bringing that disease with them into Europe.
Meanwhile, residents in the northern Italian town of Gorino, Ferrara, successfully prevented the authorities from “placing” a number of invaders in their town by physically blockading all the public roads.
The residents of Gorino created roadblocks at three entrances to the city on Monday evening at around 7 p.m., according to local media reports, with chants of “We don’t want them here.”
Protesters used planks of wood and iron bins to barricade the coach carrying the invaders, which had a police escort.
More than 200 locals reportedly participated in the protest, almost half the town’s entire population.
A regional councillor from the anti-invasion Northern League Party, Alan Fabbri, called the protesters “heroes of the resistance against the tyranny of acceptance” and wrote on his Facebook page: “Honor to those who defend their rights and their freedom.”
The invaders were removed and will now be relocated elsewhere, police said.
According to news reports on Tuesday morning, the protest was still going on, with some residents of the fishing town refusing to go to work or take their children to school.
‘Gorino’ was the second trending topic in Italy on Twitter on Tuesday, with most uses supporting the actions of the protesters.