Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has warned that New Zealand’s offer to take in bogus refugees about to be deported from Australia will reignite the boat-borne flood of invaders.
New Zealand Prime Minister John Keys had earlier said that New Zealand was prepared to take in 37 “asylum seeker” children destined to be sent back to the island of Nauru following a recent court decision against the invaders in Australia.
Citing an agreement he had made with Julia Gillard, the former Prime Minister of Australia, Keys said that it was “potentially possible” for New Zealand to take in the invaders—even though they have broken every law in the book—because it was “sensible and compassionate.”
In his response, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said yesterday that the idea of resettling “asylum seekers” in New Zealand instead of deporting them to the Pacific atoll of Nauru will only “encourage more asylum seekers to try to reach Australian shores by boat.”
The counter comments in the media come just before the two leaders meet on Friday in Sydney, and are likely to provide for some heated discussion.
The issue has arisen after some 267 nonwhite invaders in Australia are set to be deported back to Nauru after being temporarily allowed onto the Australian mainland to “support a family member who needed medical treatment.”
Of course, once on the mainland, the invaders simply refused to go back to Nauru and launched a legal challenge in the Australian High Court which called the legality of Australia’s refugee policy into question.
As reported earlier, the court ruled against the invaders, effectively ensuring their deportation back to Nauru.
Australia has all but stopped the nonwhite invasion by boat from the Middle East and Asia by refusing to allow illegal boat arrivals to ever settle in Australia. They are sent to detention camps on Nauru and Australia’s closest neighbor, Papua New Guinea.
The Australian government correctly fears that New Zealand’s offer to take in the “refugees” will encourage the invasion to start once again. “We recognize that the most important thing we have to do is not at any point give any encouragement or say or do anything that the people smugglers will use for their marketing,” Turnbull was quoted as saying.
Key’s government reached an agreement in 2013 with the then Australian government to resettle 150 refugees a year from Nauru and Papua New Guinea. He said this week that the offer remained open despite it never being accepted by Australia.
“If they want us to take people, then subject to them meeting the criteria, New Zealand would be obliged to do that because we’ve given a commitment to do so,” Key said.