The chief of police in Cologne, Wolfgang Düren, deliberately withheld details of the racial nature of the New Year’s Eve mass sex-attacks in Cologne because he felt it would cause “racial incitement” if the truth became known.
This admission—made by Düren to a North Rhine Westphalia (NRW) parliament subcommittee today, followed an earlier statement made by the state’s Minister of the Interior for the state, Ralf Jäger, in which he released the final list of attacks, victims, and suspects for the nonwhite crime spree on the evening of December 31, 2015.
Jäger said that 1,049 individual cases had been reported over the course of the evening.
From this, a total of 982 criminal charges had been formulated, of which 821 were in Cologne. Of that number, 359 were sex offenses. Similarly, some 113 charges were laid in Dusseldorf, of which 69 were sex offenses; 28 charges were laid in Dortmund, of which 4 were sex offenses; and 20 charges were laid in Bielefeld, of which 5 were sex offenses.
However, only 30 suspects had been identified out of the 2,000 strong mob of nonwhites in Cologne. This number includes 25 Moroccans and Algerians, an Albanian, an Afghani, a Tunisian, a Libyan, and an Iranian. So far, at least 15 of these are registered “asylum seekers.”
Nine suspects have been arrested in Dusseldorf, of which four are from Morocco, with the others being from Bangladesh, Algeria, and Afghanistan. In the city of Bielefeld, the suspects are three Moroccans, and one Algerian, while in Dortmund the nine suspects include Iraqis, Algerians, Moroccans, and Syrians.
Jäger said that the police had done the best they could, but that “ultimately they were too few and could not do anything about an uncontrollable situation.”
Later, police chief Düren said that he had seen that the events were going to be “politically remarkable” by the first message he had received on January 1 about the attacks.
The message, he said, detailed eleven sexual assaults by a “North African-looking group of people in Cologne” and was explicitly titled as “attacks by foreigners.”
Düren told the parliament committee that he had had, “with respect to the perpetrator’s possible origin,” a “bad feeling” that the matter was going to be contentious.
There was also, he said, a possibility that the situation had the “possibility of causing racial incitement” (“Verhetzungspotenzial”) and therefore “decided to await the course of events” before issuing any statement.
This then appears to have been the origin of the Cologne police’s first, and now infamous, statement of January 1, in which it was said that the evening had been “largely peaceful.”
Düren also confirmed that police had long been aware of the problem of crime sprees by the nonwhite North African invaders. The police had, he said, in Cologne alone, registered 21,000 crimes committed by 17,000 North Africans since 2013 alone.
In neighboring Düsseldorf, the police had identified 2,244 North African suspects who had committed 4,392 offenses between June 2014 and November 2015.