Important Issues Science

“Transgender” is a Mental Illness and Should be Treated as such: Former Johns Hopkins Chief Psychiatrist

The “transgender” craze currently being promoted by the controlled mass media as “the next civil rights frontier” is in fact a mental illness and its promotion is aiding and abetting mental disorders, the former chief psychiatrist for the Johns Hopkins Hospital has said.

Gay+Pride+Parade

A mental illness, not a "lifestyle."
A mental illness, not a “lifestyle.”

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, who is currently Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry at the world-famous hospital, also said that sex changes were “biologically impossible” and that those doctors who “promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.”

In addition, he said, “transgenderism is a mental disorder that merits treatment” like society would treat other mental disorders, and it should not be catered to by the media or the medical profession in the way that it is.

Dr. McHugh, who is the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in an article in the Wall Street Journal titled “Transgender Surgery Isn’t the Solution”, in which he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’”—the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

In support of his opinion, he pointed to a recent study which showed that the suicide rate among “transgendered” people who had reassignment surgery is 20 times higher than the suicide rate among normal people.

Dr. McHugh also pointed out studies from Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic of children who had expressed transgender feelings but for whom, over time, 70–80 percent “spontaneously lost those feelings”—implying that a lot of this “transgenderism” was in fact twisted adults projecting these feelings onto children.

READ  Yemen: The Hidden War

“While the Obama administration, Hollywood, and major media such as Time magazine promote transgenderism as normal,” said Dr. McHugh, these “policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”

“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken—it does not correspond with physical reality. The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”

The transgendered person’s disorder, said Dr. McHugh, is in the person’s “assumption” that they are different than the physical reality of their body, their maleness or femaleness, as assigned by nature.

It is a disorder similar to a “dangerously thin” person suffering anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are “overweight,” said Dr. McHugh.

This assumption, that one’s gender is only in the mind regardless of anatomical reality, has led some transgendered people to push for social acceptance and affirmation of their own subjective “personal truth,” said Dr. McHugh.

As a result, some states—California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts—have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.

The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70 and 80 percent of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time.

Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”

READ  Foreign-born Populations in Europe

“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

Time-Magazine-Transgender-Tipping-Point-Laverne-Cox

The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”

Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous—even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”

Such action comes “close to child abuse,” said Dr. McHugh, given that close to 80 percent of those kids will “abandon their confusion and grow naturally into adult life if untreated.”

“’Sex change’ is biologically impossible,” said McHugh. “People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women. Claiming that this is civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”

HTML Editor - Full Version

1. FREE SEX CHANGES FOR HOMOSEXUALS
    “You can now change your sex and charge the American taxpayer, according to new rules (http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_37eed88e0e2d4accbc46c59012db82f2) just issued by the Department of Health and Human Services. Up until now, the government denied Medicare payments for such surgeries, which were considered not medically necessary. Changes in genitalia and other secondary sexual characteristics are now considered medically necessary and therefore available for taxpayer funding.
    The ruling came at the request of a 74-year-old man who wants genital excavation in order to have the semblance of a vagina. The cost of such surgery can be astronomical (http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/Pa-St/Sex- Reassignment-Surgery.html).

For a man seeking a vagina, the cost can run upwards of $20,000. For a woman who wants a penis constructed, the costs can range much higher, closer to $50,000. Those huge amounts are far more than Medicare beneficiaries pay in premiums in a year, let alone what the average worker pays in the Medicare tax each year, which is only 1.45% of annual income (http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc751.html).

Assuming that an individual makes $100,000 per year, he would pay at most $1,045 in Medicare taxes. So, if one worker who makes $100,000 a year pays roughly over $1,000 to Medicare each year, it would take one worker twenty years to pay for another person’s sex-change, or twenty people one year to do the same.
    Typically private insurance does not cover such surgeries, but that could also change with the new ruling, as private companies often take their lead from the federal government.

The Williams Institute, an LGBT research institute at UCLA, estimates (http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Transgender-by-the-numbers-2342726.php) there are
    700,000 transgender people in the United States, or roughly .0029 percent of the adult population.” (By: Mister Austin Ruse)

1. I’m not sure which side I agree with yet but I would like to point out a flaw in his book. You mentioned transgender people with operations are 20 times more likely to commit suicide as non-transgenger people. It seems to imply that they are unstable already (mentally ill) or that the surgery makes them want to kill themselves. What it does not take into account is that correlation does not equal causation and that transgendered people could very well have a higher suicide rate do to the mistreatment that they recieve from society which may bring on depression or other ilnesses related to suicide. Just a thought, I mean I am reading the article which means I have considered that it could be a psychological ilness as well.

1. You make a good point. The suicide rate amongst transgendered individuals is higher than among “normal” individuals regardless of whether the transgendered individual has undergone sex reassignment surgery or not. A better statistic to use here would be to look at the suicide rate amongst transgendered individuals who underwent sex reassignment surgery compared to the suicide rate amongst transgendered individuals who did not undergo sex reassignment surgery.

2. …So really, what you are implying is that choosing to be transgender, have the full op and live a lie as a woman is not a very pragmatic life decision… I agree with your assumption

3. From the linked article above: The ACP’s seventh point reveals that “rates of suicide are twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden which is among the most LGBQT–affirming countries.

4. I find it amusing when laypeople (such as you) point out the flaws in thinking held by people who are acknowledged experts, experts who have arrived at their thinking based on years of education, practical experience and research.

1. I am not an expert and don’t claim to be, that would be why I have quoted experts. From personal experience I suppose it could be a coincidence that the two Trans people I have known were severely depressed, and NOT due to ‘society not understanding them’. They both had support and love.

5. I had a friend who would have these MAJOR mood swings and would often times seem unstable. His mother was a borderline and he had suffered major trauma as a child. Suddenly at the age of 50 he said he was a woman trapped in a man’s body and went full blown Trans…………to the point where he was only sleeping with men…….after being heterosexual his entire life. His erratic mood swings did not cease….but became more noticeable. I felt at a gut level that he had had a psychotic break and that he had more than one undiagnosed mental illness. My research was correct. Two things that this article does not discuss is that 25% of Trans people have manic depression, schizophrenia and or BPD and the gender dysphoria goes away with the use of the correct antipsychotic medication.

2. Please, please, please start treating this as the mental illness it is – people are trying to change their 3 year olds, etc. It is getting really out of control all because people who want to cut off body parts and take hormones to become something they simply are not is being taken as some alternative lifestyle when these people are simply mentally ill and need intensive therapy. Please psychiatric association – please call this what it is – a mental disorder and stop trying to pass laws to give them mental ill people the right for men to use women bathrooms and on and on…. it is ridiculous.

2. So much common sense. I’m shell shocked when anyone in a professional capacity tells the truth. I’m wondering if the freaks and media will be exposed or is this the future? More and more insanity.

1. You are a baffon. If they want to cut their genitals off they can pay for it on their own paycheck not the taxpayers. Foolish, appalling, and disgusting this has even come into play as an issue in this modern era. It seems even though we have all this technology our species still wants to digress when we should be striving as a whole not being broken down into segments destined for deformity.

1. This gross confusion of culture is designed by social engineers who steer media for their nefarious purposes of depopulation by way of diabolical mind control

3. Of course it is a mental illness.

I have no idea why the far left is so enamored of the idea of treating people with mental illnesses as if they are normal, just because the illness is centered around sexuality.

Clearly, someone claiming to be transgendered has a LOT of issues. One’s gender is a fundamental aspect of one’s being; to reject it is a rejection of self that stops just short of suicide. Pretending that it is normal does not help that person at all.

I would say, from what I have observed of “gays” is that they do not suffer from misdirection of their normal desires, but that they are scared of intimacy with members of the opposite sex. This is just another example of how the left victimizes these people.

True, we do not have instant cures for these conditions. But it is irresponsible and cruel to refuse to try to help them, even with our current less than optimal treatment options.

4. The psychiatric society use to cure homosexuality through therapy, now it is against the law (at least in California, where it has spread like wildfire) to help anyone, who believes they can be help from this mental disease.

5. Ok You people are ridiculous, just kidding. I despise these people, they act as if they are African American’s during the civil rights movements in Birmingham Al.. They are not suffering, they are not martyrs, they are mentally ill and should be treated by a qualified MENTAL health professional, not some plastic surgeon who is just further deluding themselves. They are insanely rude, have no clue what real adversity or struggle is. The only reason that transgenderism was reclassified is because of public outcry, not a change in scientific opinion or sound medical research. This is disgusting, our society is devolving and I am embarrassed to be a Human right now. We’ve strayed so far from what made us great, we’re now cutting off body parts and “escavating” our reproductive organs. These people should be put in mental hospitals.

1. I agree they act like they have no rights and have to eat and drink separately from others.They will always be the same gender no matter what.

2. I completely agree mate. Allowing genital surgery for these people is like allowing a schizophrenic to marry the voice in his head.

6. As Alexander Dugin explains in his Fourth Political Theory, the idea that an individual can “choose” his or her identity has been predictably extended from nation to ethnos and now to sex; all as inevitable results of “individualism” and materialism, which are the root poisons killing the socalled West, ie, the white race.

7. Finally…someone with the balls (no pun intended) to speak up for the truth. How anyone can claim that viewing yourself as something other than what you actually are as being “normal” or mentally healthy is beyond me.

8. Transgender surgery perplexes me from a health standpoint. We try to avoid hormones in milk, antibiotics in meat and pesticides in our produce, but amputating organs and taking large amounts of hormones to disrupt our bodies’ natural functioning is self-expression?

9. when we cannot even get our insurance to pay for certain drugs and the bills get higher and higher but these folks can get the gov’t to pay for sex change operations??. The world has turned upside down in my lifetime this is CRAZY!!!!

10. I went to school with a little 6 year old girl who was sure she was a boy. She had two older brothers and no sisters. She had no interest in girlish things at all. This behavior went on for years. Today she is feminine, married to a nice man and has two kids.
    If that happened today instead of the 1980s, the parents would have been encouraged to let her be a boy, tell her she was born with a defect, and start giving her testosterone. That makes me shudder.

1. Disclaimer, I’m not convinced either way.
      But I have read from transgender individuals that they don’t consider themselves trans because they have characteristics associated with the other gender. If that were the case there would be no feminine transmen or butch transwomen. (She claimed that there are.) Basically she said that she “just knew” she was a girl.
      Your classmate had tomboy like interests, that is completely irrelevant to transgenderism.
      I really don’t know, I want to support them, but if it really is a mental illness I don’t want to make it worse?

11. I totally agree with Dr. Paul R. McHugh on this one. The PC liberals are enabling this extreme type of Mental illness. I hope the Tide is turning against them and Common Sense comes back. What they really are is mentally ill people and they don’t need a plastic surgeon, they need a psychiatric help and need to be locked up in some psych facility.

12. I feel gender discriminated against for my special form of transgenderism.
    I am a man that feels incomplete without surgery, I have one functional wang of average size and I need another wang or maybe even 4 of them and I want Medicaid to pay for this surgery.

If science can graft a phony phallus to a woman wanting to be a man, I deserve at least another one or six of them.

(Argue this in the press and see how they react and see if California will go deeper in the red for their psychopathy)

13. Lets stop all this nonsense about transgender being normal. Bruce Jenner is a very mentally disturbed person and should be treated for his mental illness. You can say this is not mental illness but it won’t change what it really is and won’t get the help for these people that they really need.

1. Thank you! I agree. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jenner commits suicide within a few years or gets at least institutionalized.

14. An interesting article, and comments. I have yet no clear opinion on the subject, but I so far believe that Western societies have on the whole gone too far in their interpretation of freedom. Everyone is now declared entitled to get everything, which brings chaos. But of course, if the destruction of our on Christianity based culture is the objective, this secular religion has been very successfull.

15. They will always be their birth gender. End of.. You can have the best treatment in the world and it still won’t matter. I could live in a stable, have a horn grafted to my head and claim that I feel like I am a Unicorn, doesn’t make me a Unicorn. I wasn’t born one, I will never be one. I detested being a woman for the first 15 years of my life, I was a moderate tomboy and I now sit directly in the middle of feminine and masculine tastes.However, if I told my parents I know I am a boy, they would have laughed at me and said: Wanting doesn’t make it so.. My father was mentally ill and even in his haze said: Strive for balance not for extremes.

16. Many years ago Monty Python had a sketch of grafts of people with animals, and even furniture. E.g. an ‘elephantoplasty’. Maybe people who e.g. like cats could have e.g. cat tails grafted on? Admittedly there would be difficulties with rejection, but if it’s other people’s money, who cares!

17. I totally agree with this article. It is a mental illness and surgery is not the way to treat it. My 16 year old brother says that he is a transgender woman but he also claims to have other mental health problems. I wish he would get it into his head he is not a woman and never will be as this article says it is biologically impossible. I have my reasons for doubting my brother is transgender, he used to make fun of me for having more female than male friends growing up and also my Halloween costume a couple of years ago which was of a female character. He’s doing it for attention and I believe it is because he left school last year and won’t get a job or anything and now he’s scrounging off the government for money he shouldn’t even be entitle to because he is just a lazy waste of space. I wish people would stop with the whole you’re sex is not your gender, it is, it’s how you are assigned at birth, it’s what biologically makes you male or female.

18. Yup, bang on. It is a mental illness. I have TWO half brothers, one got a sex change and was miserable so reversed but kept the vagina, the second one is now undergoing hormone therapy to become a woman. They both looked terrible and will always look like men.

Both have serious mental health issues before suddenly claiming they’re the wrong gender.

I felt bad for my brother that changed first, the brother changing now is just an idiot. He goes around talking all catty like he’s a Kardashian, purchasing 100 pairs of shoes etc. It’s not normal behaviour even for a woman.

They will always be men genetically. Any blood work done will always show them as male no matter with kind of body mutilation they do. For a guy to chop off his dick willingly th ere is definately screws lose.

19. I have a brother who is manipulative and then turned transgender. Transgenders are indeed mentally ill and there’s plenty of evidence to prove it. The transgender community won’t see it and it’s disturbing that this transgender epidemic is not being treated as a mental illness but promoted as if it wasn’t some sort of illness. When men start wearing dresses and a wig and demanding to be called a woman (ie: Bruce Jenner) that’s a mental illness. When people say that women have penises that’s a mental illness. When they ignore suicide statistics after they have transitioned that’s’ a mental illness. When transgenders demand they use the bathroom/locker room they identify as that’s a mental illness.

This pandering to the transgender community needs to end. It’s not about human rights, it’s about a group of mentally deranged fools trying to get the right to be mentally deranged. This country needs to do more to rid ourselves from this illness. Transgenders belong in a mental institution. They do not belong in our streets, homes, schools, bathrooms or locker rooms. They don’t even belong on the news. I can’t wait until these people are all rounded up and put in mental hospitals, right where they belong. This insanity must end!

20. Great article, by someone with actual notoriety. The influence this will have on the next generation worries me. The only reason they (transgenders) are demanding rights is because it is sexual in nature, as stated. Do people really think for the thousands of years before now people believing they’re trapped in the wrong body were sane? No.
    They were mentally ill.
    Recently there was a national story of a white woman who had been unknowingly leading a chapter of the NAACP. She was removed from her seat, when it was discovered she was white. Soon after she was interviewed by Matt Lauer who asked if she was black. She said she identified as black and always had. She was scolded by many, of course. Everyone knows you can’t choose your race, so why your gender? I’ve also read stories on people who believe they are animals (ex. Cat, dog, or bird), that’s absurd and impossible. It’s really sad people can’t or won’t differentiate mental illness, only because of the sexual revolution accompanying new plastic surgeries.

21. A ‘transgender’ person undergoing genital mutilation to better match the sex they believe themselves to be is not unlike a schizophrenic marrying the voices in his head or throwing himself off a building because he believes he is Superman.

Their beliefs simply do not match reality. Therefore they are suffering from delusion.

They must be hospitalized and treated exactly as any other mentally ill person who is at risk of harming themselves or others. And they ARE a threat to themselves and others!

*They are a threat to themselves as they will abuse drugs and try to mutilate their bodies in an attempt to match their delusions.

*They are a threat to others as they will psychologically abuse and attempt to mutilate and drug minors who show signs of the illness.

22. I just hate the idea that charities and governments are paying for plastic surgery worth a lot whilst at the same time people are dying of sickness and hunger. Thousands of people struggle with body confidence however they will not get plastic surgery to remove fat/change face etc. This would be the ‘easiest’ way to ‘fix’ issues however in the long run it is detrimental. Mental health issues don’t go away because of a change in appearance. Mental health issues require a psychiatrist or therapist and transgender people only too often admit to being mentally ill due to feeling not right in their body. This does not excuse unnatural plastic surgery which is dangerous and detrimental to health. Plastic surgery also numbs nerves and can cause a lot of pain even years after surgery. Most people have some body confidence issues- it’s life!

23. I can see things getting very strange when people start thinking they are another species ” I am a fish dolphin born in a human body Dr can you pot a blow hole on my back so I can be with my own??” ” Or ” in a fish I need my perfectly good lungs removed a get a Gill transplant so I can really swim with the fishes” I know this is a extreme example but there are people out there that believe thy are supposed to be something else besides what nature gave them, humans have one of the most complex minds and with complexity comes flaws

24. I’ve come to this conclusion on my own. Nice to see someone with a PhD validating that. I believe it to be a FACT and anyone stating otherwise ia in denial and any media opposing this is merely propaganda. The media/estaestablishment is trying to destroy the fabric of society by promoting LGBTQ garbage as well as destroying healthy American families. They want us to be depraved, mentally ill, and fighting with each other so we can’t hold those accountable for haneous commit, and horrendous corruption they commit.

25. It is also corrupt and just plain wrong and messed up that we would give free surgery to military. They can pay for their own damn surgery. Also women have no place on the battlefield except maybe as a medic. Just because you cut off your genitals doesn’t make you a different sex. It makes you a mutant degenerate outcast.

26. The promotion of sexual deviance is just one attempt among many to wreck havoc on society and the family structure. Fake transexuality promoted by fake transexuals like Bruce Jenner is a tool employed to do that. Jenner is neither a transexual nor a homosexual by his own admission. He retains his male genetalia and engages in normal sex with women. The one thing that is very odd about him is that over the past year he managed to become one of the highest paid television entertainers while starring in a cable series which drew very few viewers and was cancelled. Some one wanted a high profile promotion of deviant personality and was willing to pay to get it.