At least 3,000 individuals from the seven “listed” nations deemed as harboring dangerous elements entered the U.S. in the first few days after the courts blocked President Donald Trump’s Executive Order in that regard.
The surge confirmed Trump’s claims of a “big increase in traffic” from those states—ironically first identified as potentially dangerous by the previous Obama administration—after the court order.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection said about 3,000 people from the seven countries arrived from Feb. 4 through Feb. 7, the days immediately after the judge issued a temporary restraining order.
“For context that 3,000 compares to 1,200 over the same period in 2016,” the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) said in a statement.
The CBP’s numbers suggest that people from the seven targeted countries did in fact come in at a higher rate, surging 250 percent compared with the previous year.
The agency said it could not give a nation-specific breakdown of arrivals. Seven countries were affected by Trump’s vetting order: Libya, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.
Meanwhile, the number of refugees from those countries has stabilized after surging in the first week after the judge’s order, as the State Department rushed to let in people it said had been held up by the order.
To date, some 45 percent of “refugees” admitted since Trump took office have come from the seven countries, which is similar to the rate during Obama’s final 3 months in office.
Trump is expected to announce an updated executive order this week to try to reimpose his “vetting” plan while surmounting the objections raised by several federal courts that stopped his policy.
The White House says it plans to keep fighting for the current executive order in the courts, even as it prepares to release the new order. White House officials have said the policy will achieve much the same effect as the original order was designed to do.
Under the original order, the government was to pause admissions from those countries for 90 days. The policy also halted “refugee” admissions for 120 days.
* Just last week, an African “immigrant” from the Sudan was sentenced to 11 years in prison by a Virginia court for attempting to provide support to the Islamic State and for lying about it to the FBI.
The man, named as Mahmoud Amin Mohamed Elhassan, became a legal permanent resident of the U.S. in 2012.